Wednesday 29 February 2012

End Of Module: Self Evaluation


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME: William Cotterill

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?  Throughout this module I have developed a variety of skills,  I feel as if I've had a vast learning curve in understanding how to set up a business taking into account real life factors and situations. The enterprise Lectures have helped me to understand how to get myself out there into the big wide world as a creative, how to mange and cost a collaborative studio and how to figure out annual in comings and outgoings. The main skills I feel I have developed lie within the growth of our collaboration, I found choosing a group people I shared the same interests with us gave us the ethic to get really into what we were doing. We all shared the same passion for music and the same taste creatively, within this module I think I've learnt about how to successfully work with other people, and the compromises you have to make in the process. People skills are what make collaborations work, I found that within our group there we no arguments, disputes etc we all did our own bit and all shared the workload tailored to each others skills.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? In realtion to design production I have produced mock ups of our website and how Pardn would look on screen. A lot of the work I completed was research, learning and exploring the costings of studios and living costs, whilst working with other factors like location and custom. We all came to one conclusion over the branding and design approach to our business/presentation, We all initially brought Idea's to the board but as a collaboration came to mutual decisions about the look and feel of our company.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalize on these?
Strengths I've developed within this module are very different to past briefs. These don't like within the world of design but instead I feel as if I'm getting a grasp for realistically understanding a few of the factors you would need to get on your feet when completing a art/design degree and looking to set up a small business. Pest and Swot analysis is something I started to look quite into depth with, analyzing studios and how they work as a team has helped me to consider some of the political, ethical, social and technological factors you have to take into account. I would love to leave University and set up freelance, or look into starting a small business, I would like to capitalize on the skills I've learnt in this module so that later in life I have a strong general knowledge of managing costs etc. One of the strengths I think I held within the module, was my phone skills, talking to different studio's and letting agencies on the phone getting prices to work was a job I think I did well at because I feel I have a good social side to me.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Weaknesses within my work during this brief has been my documentation. I feel as if I could have recorded the process we went through better as a lot of the discussions and decision.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

-Firstly, I think If we had more time I would of got more involved with the design side of things, as the module was based around business I found I was mainly conducting research and playing with stats and figures. If we carried out the plan for setting up our studio I would enjoy pursuing the design of our website/publication, I feel that I concentrated on the foundations of our business rather than the visual aspects of the workload.

-I would of liked to get a couple of small clients on the go, to see whether our business would be successful in the real world. I think if we started off with a couple of local dj's/artists we'd have a good shot at producing some professional pieces of work as a team. Even though we did work along side a couple of artists/producers I think that to add extra impact to our presentation a handfull of strong examples of work we'd produced for the music industry would show how we the company off to a good starting point.

-I would manage my time better, I found working on other briefs got me slightly distracted with this one, On the other hand I feel that this blip was overcome. I think with better time management we could have possibly looked into putting on an event or getting something up and running.

-I would want work more on the printed side of things, especially for our presentation, printed media would have added to our whole pitch.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas;

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 5
Punctuality 5
Motivation 4
Commitment 4
Quantity of work produced 3
Quality of work produced 4

Contribution to the group 4

No comments:

Post a Comment